The recently-launched OnePlus 12 is a great choice for those in India looking for a flagship Android phone under Rs 70,000. In a market flooded with flagship phones costing over Rs 1 lakh, the OnePlus 12 stands out as a sensible and affordable option.
1. Elegant Design: The OnePlus 12 boasts an elegant design, featuring a circular camera module and a smooth matte finish on the back panel. The design, especially in the Flowy Emerald color variant, not only adds a touch of luxury but also ensures a comfortable grip. The inclusion of a glass plate over the sensors enhances the overall aesthetics, while the thoughtful placement of buttons, including the trademark OnePlus alert slider, contributes to a refined and functional design.
2. Immersive Display: The phone sports a 6.82-inch LTPO display with ProXDR and Dolby Vision support, offering an immersive viewing experience. The display’s ability to reach up to 4500 nits of peak brightness makes it one of the brightest in the market. The subtly curved design of the screen deviates from the flat-screen trend, giving the phone a premium look. Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos support further enhance the entertainment experience by providing loud and crisp sound, making it an excellent choice for on-the-go media consumption.
3. Powerful Performance: Under the hood, the OnePlus 12 is equipped with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chipset, delivering stupendous performance. The review of the 16GB RAM variant coupled with 512GB storage reveals its multitasking prowess, effortlessly handling various tasks such as app switching, online streaming, and gaming. The inclusion of Balanced Performance Mode, along with OxygenOS 14 built on Android 14, ensures a smooth and responsive user interface without unnecessary bloatware. The phone’s sleek profile, even in Balanced Performance Mode, doesn’t compromise on its ability to handle demanding games at high settings.
4. Robust Battery and Charging: The OnePlus 12 houses a substantial 5400mAh battery, providing a reliable power source for daily use. With regular usage, the battery typically lasts a day and even more, catering to the needs of users who are not engaged in extended gaming sessions. The support for super-fast 100W charging and 50W wireless charging adds a layer of convenience, ensuring quick power-ups when needed. Notably, the inclusion of the 100W charger in the box sets it apart from competitors who have opted to exclude chargers from their packages.
5. Camera Excellence: The OnePlus 12 shines in the camera department, showcasing OnePlus’ commitment to improving camera capabilities in its flagship phones. The triple camera setup includes a 50-megapixel main camera, a 48-megapixel wide-angle lens, and a 64-megapixel telephoto lens with 3X periscope optical zoom. This combination delivers excellent results in good lighting conditions, with vibrant colors and sharpness. The 3X zoom is particularly impressive, while the wide-angle camera demonstrates improved edge sharpness. The partnership with Hasselblad is evident in the camera’s ability to capture rich and vivid colors. However, the 32MP front camera, while functional, tends to over-process photos, impacting the level of detail.
Should You Buy OnePlus 12? Priced at Rs 64,999, the OnePlus 12 emerges as a compelling choice for Indian consumers. It outshines competitors like the Galaxy S24 and Pixel 8 Pro in various aspects while offering a more budget-friendly option. The comparison with the S24 Ultra, priced at Rs 1.3 Lakh, highlights the OnePlus 12’s value proposition. While the Pixel 8 series excels in still image photography, the OnePlus 12 takes the lead as an overall package, combining performance, display quality, and camera capabilities. In summary, the OnePlus 12 stands as the most sensible flagship Android phone to buy in India currently.
Key Specifications: How is OnePlus 12
- 6.82-inch LTPO display with ProXDR and Dolby Vision.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor.
- Up to 16GB RAM and 512GB storage.
- 5400mAh battery with 100W fast charging and 50W wireless charging.
- Triple camera setup: 50MP main, 48MP wide-angle, 64MP telephoto.
- 32MP front camera.
- OxygenOS 14 based on Android 14.
- IP65 rating for dust and water protection.
- Connectivity: 5G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, USB Type-C, Infrared.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, ambient light, compass, gyroscope, proximity, in-display fingerprint sensor.
OnePlus 12 Full Specifications
The OnePlus 12, priced at ₹64,999, was released in India on December 5, 2023. As a touchscreen device, it comes with a sleek design, measuring 164.30 x 75.80 x 9.15 mm and weighing 220 grams. The phone is built to endure with an IP65 rating, making it resistant to dust and water. It packs a substantial non-removable 5400mAh battery, supporting Super VOOC fast charging and wireless charging. Available in Flowy Emerald and Silky Black, the OnePlus 12 caters to diverse style preferences.
Moving on to the display, the phone boasts a 120Hz refresh rate and a QHD+ resolution on a 6.82-inch touchscreen. With a resolution of 1440×3168 pixels and Gorilla Glass protection, the display promises vibrant visuals and durability, scoring 510 pixels per inch (PPI).
Under the hood, an octa-core Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor powers the OnePlus 12, offering robust performance. Users can choose between 12GB or 16GB of RAM and storage options of 256GB or 512GB, with no option for expandable storage.
In the camera department, the OnePlus 12 features a triple rear camera setup: a 50MP main camera, a 64MP telephoto lens, and a 48MP ultra-wide-angle lens. The front camera is a 32MP shooter. These cameras promise versatile photography options, including telephoto and ultra-wide-angle capabilities. The OnePlus 12 runs on Android 14 with OxygenOS 14 skin, ensuring a clean and customizable user interface.
Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, and Infrared. The phone supports 5G, ensuring compatibility with the latest networks. With two Nano-SIM slots, both supporting 3G, 4G, and 5G, the OnePlus 12 provides flexibility in mobile network usage. Sensors include face unlock, in-display fingerprint sensor, compass, proximity sensor, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, and gyroscope, contributing to a feature-rich user experience.
In summary, the OnePlus 12 combines an attractive design, powerful performance, impressive camera capabilities, and a vibrant display. Priced competitively, it stands as a compelling option for users seeking a feature-packed flagship Android phone in the Indian market.
The OnePlus 12 comes equipped with Gorilla Glass protection for its display. This specialized glass, known for its durability, helps safeguard the screen from scratches, cracks, and other potential damage. Gorilla Glass is a toughened and chemically strengthened material designed to enhance the durability and longevity of the phone’s touchscreen, providing an added layer of protection against everyday wear and tear.
Why should you take this?
- One might consider choosing the OnePlus 12 for several reasons. Firstly, it offers a sleek design coupled with a vibrant 120Hz display, providing an immersive visual experience. The powerful Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 processor ensures smooth performance, making it suitable for various tasks, from multitasking to gaming.
- The phone’s camera capabilities, including a versatile triple camera setup and a 32MP front camera, contribute to capturing high-quality photos and videos. Additionally, features like Super VOOC fast charging and wireless charging offer convenient and efficient ways to keep the device powered up.
- With an IP65 rating for dust and water resistance, the OnePlus 12 is designed to withstand the challenges of daily use, enhancing its durability. The option to choose between different RAM and storage configurations provides flexibility to users based on their preferences and needs.
- Overall, the OnePlus 12 presents a compelling package, combining performance, design, and features, making it a noteworthy choice in the competitive smartphone market.
utting-Edge BOE X1 2K OLED Display for OnePlus 12 Flagship
- OnePlus recently introduced its latest BOE X1 2K OLED display technology at an event in China, set to feature in their upcoming flagship, the OnePlus 12. This new display boasts a 2K resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate, powered by the innovative Display P1 chip developed by Oppo.
- The company claims significant improvements for the OnePlus 12 display, with a 90% boost in performance and a 13% reduction in power consumption. Utilizing next-generation LTPO technology, the screen can achieve a peak brightness of over 2600 nits, slightly below the ProXDR display seen on the recently revealed OnePlus Open (review).
- DisplayMate, a renowned display rating institution, has awarded the new curved BOE X1 OLED panel on the OnePlus 12 with an A+ rating. Additionally, OnePlus has confirmed that the OnePlus Ace 3, likely to be branded as OnePlus 12R in India, will feature a 1.5K resolution OLED screen, also sourced from BOE.
“Is the OnePlus 12 good or bad? Well, it depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a phone that’s fast and has a great camera, then yes, it’s good. The display is also bright and colorful. However, some people might find it a bit expensive, and the design is a personal preference. So, it’s really about what matters most to you in a phone.”
the OnePlus 12 stands as a compelling choice for those seeking a powerful and stylish smartphone experience. With its sleek design, vibrant display, robust performance, and impressive camera features, it offers a well-rounded package. The inclusion of Super VOOC fast charging, wireless charging, and an IP65 rating for durability further enhance its appeal. Whether for gaming, photography, or everyday use, the OnePlus 12 provides a seamless and enjoyable user experience, making it a standout option in the smartphone landscape.