The upcoming clash between New Zealand vs Sri Lanka on November 9 in Bengaluru is more than just a cricket match—it’s a make-or-break moment for the Black Caps. After starting the ICC World Cup 2023 with a strong win against England, New Zealand now faces the risk of elimination unless they secure a victory in this all-important game. With only 8 points from 8 games, they find themselves in a tricky situation, closely contested by Pakistan and Afghanistan for the coveted fourth spot.
Sri Lanka, on the other hand, hasn’t had much success in this tournament, managing only 2 victories from 8 games. Positioned at the lower end of the points table, level with the Netherlands, this match becomes a crucial opportunity for them to salvage some pride.
The history between New Zealand and Sri Lanka in One Day Internationals (ODIs) spans a total of 101 matches. New Zealand has won 51 times to Sri Lanka’s 41, with 8 games ending inconclusively and one resulting in a tie. Their recent encounter in March 2023 saw New Zealand winning by 6 wickets.
The Bengaluru weather adds an element of uncertainty to today’s match. With a heavy chance of rain (99%) and thunderstorms predicted at 12 PM, and a 69% chance of rain in the afternoon, the weather conditions raise concerns. However, the forecast suggests a potential improvement later in the day, even though it will remain cloudy.
Kane Williamson, the captain of New Zealand, addressed the weather concerns, stating, “There’s a lot of things that we can’t control, and the weather is one of those. Our main focus will be on the cricket that we want to play.”
Sri Lanka’s Performance:
Sri Lanka’s performance in the tournament has been less than stellar. The controversy in the previous match against Bangladesh, where Angelo Mathews was “timed out,” has been the talk of the town. Now, they must put that controversy behind them and showcase their true potential in this match. A win is crucial for them to secure a place in the Top 8 on the points table and participate in the Champions Trophy in 2025.
Kane Williamson’s Possible Farewell:
For New Zealand, losing this match could mark the end of Kane Williamson’s World Cup 2023 campaign. Even if the match gets washed out and the Kiwis only earn 1 point, it might not be enough to keep their hopes alive. This match could be the final chance for fans to witness the legendary New Zealand captain in action in a World Cup.
Pitch Conditions: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka
The Bengaluru Chinnaswamy Stadium, known for its short boundaries, tends to favor high scores. The recent match between Pakistan and New Zealand saw the Kiwis posting a formidable 401 for 6 wickets. However, rain interrupted the game, leading to Pakistan’s victory by 21 runs according to the Duckworth-Lewis method.
World Cup Head-to-Head:
In World Cup encounters, Sri Lanka holds a slightly better record with 6 wins out of 11 matches, while New Zealand has won 5 times. Their last World Cup encounter in 2019 saw the Kiwis emerging victorious by 10 wickets.
Rachin Ravindra’s Remarkable Rise in the World Cup:
An extraordinary tale unfolds in the ICC World Cup 2023 as Rachin Ravindra, with 523 runs to his name, emerges as the third-highest run-scorer in the tournament. It’s worth noting that when the year began, Ravindra hadn’t played a single ODI match. His initial eight ODI innings were predominantly at No. 6 or 7. However, a spectacular century in the opening game earned him a spot in the top order, and he has never looked back since.
What makes Ravindra’s performance even more impressive is his batting average of 74.71, second only to Virat Kohli’s extraordinary average of 108.60 among players who have played as many World Cup games. Adding to his achievements, his ODI debut against Sri Lanka saw him score 49 from 52 balls.
Kusal Mendis: Sri Lanka’s Hope for Redemption:
As the Sri Lankan side finds itself out of semi-final contention, they turn to Kusal Mendis for inspiration. Named captain two games into the tournament, Mendis showcased unadulterated intent with six scores of fifty or more, including a sensational 77-ball 126 against Pakistan. However, his form has taken a dip in the latter part of the tournament, with an average of 15 at a strike rate of 68.18. Sri Lanka desperately needs Mendis to rediscover his mojo to stand a chance in the remaining matches.
Team News and Probable Line-ups:
In team news, Matt Henry’s absence from the New Zealand squad due to injury is confirmed. Sri Lanka, vulnerable against short-pitched bowling, may see the inclusion of Kyle Jamieson and Lockie Ferguson in the Kiwi lineup.
Probable New Zealand Line-up:
- Devon Conway
- Rachin Ravindra
- Kane Williamson (capt.)
- Daryl Mitchell
- Tom Latham (wk)
- Glenn Phillips
- Mark Chapman
- Mitchell Santner
- Ish Sodhi/Kyle Jamieson
- Trent Boult
- Tim Southee/Lockie Ferguson
Stats and Trivia:
- Rachin Ravindra is tied with Sachin Tendulkar for most runs at a World Cup before turning 25.
- Dilshan Madushanka is seven wickets away from becoming the all-time highest wicket-taker in a single edition of a World Cup.
- Sri Lanka has struggled against New Zealand in ODIs, winning only three of their last 20 encounters.
- Chinnaswamy Stadium in this World Cup has witnessed high-scoring matches, with two out of three games seeing the side batting first score above 350.
“We knew the talent was there, but to come out to be one of the players of the tournament so far – not only with the bat, but he’s also making really valuable contributions with the ball. Yeah, very, very special player, and great that he’s on our side.” – New Zealand captain Kane Williamson praises the young Rachin Ravindra.
Sri Lanka Playing 11
Probable Sri Lanka Line-up:
- Pathum Nissanka
- Kusal Perera
- Kusal Mendis (capt, wk)
- Sadeera Samarawickrama
- Charith Asalanka
- Angelo Mathews
- Dhananjaya de Silva
- Maheesh Theekshana
- Kasun Rajitha
- Dushmantha Chameera
- Dilshan Madushanka
As both teams gear up for this crucial encounter, the uncertainties of weather and the stakes involved add an extra layer of drama. Will New Zealand secure their spot in the Top 4, or will Sri Lanka pull off a surprise victory to salvage pride? The Bengaluru rain gods will play a significant role in deciding the fate of this make-or-break clash.
- Q: When and where is the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match scheduled to take place?A: The New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match is scheduled to take place on [insert date] at [insert venue].
- Q: What is the current position of New Zealand and Sri Lanka in the ICC World Cup 2023 points table?A: As of the latest update, New Zealand is positioned at [insert position] in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match, while Sri Lanka is at [insert position] in the ICC World Cup 2023 points table.
- Q: Are there any key players to watch out for in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match?A: Players such as Rachin Ravindra for New Zealand and Kusal Mendis for Sri Lanka have been in the spotlight for their exceptional performances in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match. Keep an eye on their contributions in this clash.
- Q: What is the weather forecast for the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match?A: The weather forecast indicates [insert weather conditions] for the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match, with a [insert percentage] chance of rain. It’s advisable to stay updated on any changes closer to the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match.
- Q: How have New Zealand and Sri Lanka performed in their recent head-to-head encounters in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match?A: In their recent head-to-head encounters, New Zealand has [insert number of wins] wins against Sri Lanka, while Sri Lanka has [insert number of wins]. Additionally, [insert number] games in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka series have been inconclusive.
- Q: Is there any historical significance to this New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match for the players or teams involved?A: Yes, for instance, Rachin Ravindra has been a standout performer for New Zealand in this World Cup, and Kusal Mendis has been named captain for Sri Lanka, adding extra intrigue to the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match.
- Q: Are there any changes expected in the playing XI for either New Zealand or Sri Lanka in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match?A: The playing XI for both New Zealand and Sri Lanka in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match is subject to the latest team announcements. As of now, [insert any known changes or confirmations].
- Q: How can I watch the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match live?A: The New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match will be broadcasted live on [insert broadcasting channels]. Check local listings for specific details, and streaming options may also be available on official platforms.
- Q: What are the chances of rain affecting the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match, and how will it impact the game?A: The weather forecast suggests a [insert percentage] chance of rain in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match. In case of rain interruptions, the Duckworth-Lewis method may come into play, affecting the team’s strategies.
- Q: Are there any records or milestones that players could achieve in this New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match?A: Yes, for example, Rachin Ravindra is currently tied with Sachin Tendulkar for most runs at a World Cup before turning 25 in the New Zealand vs Sri Lanka match. Keep an eye on potential record-breaking performances in this clash.